Guidelines for Overseas Conference Grants
The Overseas Conference Grant provides matching support for IU faculty to participate in major disciplinary or interdisciplinary conferences in international venues. Travel to conferences in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico is not supported. The conference must be relevant to the faculty member’s primary area of research or creative activity. Applications will be reviewed and ranked according to the following types of participation:
- Keynote or plenary address at a major conference
- Paper for a major conference that has been selected through a peer-review process
- Invitation to serve as chair or discussant of a panel at a major conference
- Other types of participation considered when funding available
Permanent full time academic appointees at any IU campus. Priority is given to faculty members whose primary area of research or creative activity is in the professional schools, arts, humanities, social sciences or mathematics. We typically do not offer conference travel support in STEM fields with the exception of mathematics.
October 2, 2017; January 15, 2018; April 2, 2018; and July 2, 2018
- Cover sheet
- Narrative statement (PDF upload required; 2 pages double-spaced maximum)
- Curriculum vitae (PDF upload required)
- Supporting document from conference sponsor indicating degree of participation (PDF upload required)
- Recommendation letter from department chair, school dean or other unit head must indicate the amount and source of matching funds. You will need to provide the name and e-mail address of the letter writer. Upon submission of the application, an e-mail will automatically be sent to the letter writer with instructions for accessing our online recommendation form. This form will give him/her access to your application documents and request the recommendation letter as a PDF upload. See Funding Rules, below, for details.
Applicants should apply as soon as possible. The conference must occur after the deadline. (For example, apply by the Jul. 1 or Oct. 1 deadlines for a conference that occurs on Oct. 2. The advantage of the earlier deadline is that applicants will know whether their application for funding has been approved before making travel plans.) Only one application per competition period is permitted. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that recommendation letters are completed by the application deadline.
Maximum match is $1,500 (i.e., for up to $3,000 in total support). Maximum amounts for matches are based on conference venue: $800 for travel to Mexico and Europe; $1000 for travel to Latin America and the Middle East; and $1200 for travel to Asia, Australia and Africa. Spring and summer awards are expressly contingent upon the recipient continuing employment at IU the following academic year. Due to higher fares in the summer, awards for travel between May 15 and Aug. 31 will be increased to $1000 for travel to Europe; $1200 to the Middle East; and $1500 for Asia, Australia and Africa. The funding commitment by the applicant’s unit determines the level of the match.
Matching funds may come from an applicant’s individual IU research account if the applicant’s primary area of research or creative activity is in the professional schools, arts, humanities, social sciences or mathematics. Personal funds may not be used for matches. External (C&G) funds may not be used for matches (accounts beginning with 4x-xxx-xx).
- Type of participation in conference as described above
- Value to the candidate and IU: Will participation enhance the candidate's record of professional achievement?
- Importance of the conference; degree to which it is international in terms of scope and participants
- Overall quality and completeness of statement
Please be ready to upload three PDF documents: narrative, CV, and confirmation of attendance from conference sponsor, when you begin the online application.